You have paid a good amount of money to buy your electric pressure cooker. You know how your electric pressure cooker works and benefits of using it. But do you know how to clean an electric pressure cooker?
Your investment in your electric pressure cooker can turn out to be an absolute waste if you neglect cleaning of your electric pressure cooker.
There are various things you should be doing while cleaning your electric pressure cooker.
In this article we will precisely see what steps you should be taking to clean an electric pressure cooker.
But before we start with the steps, always keep these following points in mind:
- Never ever put the electric pressure cooker in a dish washer,
- Always clean an electric pressure cooker after every use or
- Clean it before using, if it has been kept idle for an extended period of time,
- Do not use abrasive cleaners to clean the electric pressure cooker.
Steps to take to clean an electric pressure cooker
Given below are the general steps you should be taking to clean your electric pressure cooker. For cleaning of any specific part, you should refer your electric pressure cooker manual.
Step 1: Before starting the cleaning
- Unplug the electric pressure cooker from the electric outlet and allow it to cool if it is hot after use.
- Remove the lid and cooking pot from the main body of the electric pressure cooker.
Step 2: Cleaning the Main Body
- Take a clean damp cloth and then gently wipe the main body.
- You can use warm soapy water for dampening the cloth if the food residue does not get cleaned with water.
- Do not submerge the main body in the sink full of water or in a dish washer.
- Some electric pressure cookers have small units or reservoirs for collecting the excess condensation. You can remove this unit and wash in warm soapy water. Do remember to dry it thoroughly before attaching it back to the main body.
Step 3: Cleaning the Cooking Pot
- Usually Cooking Pots can be washed in a dish washer. Read your manual to confirm.
- If you are cleaning the cooking pot by hand then use warm soapy water.
- The inner side of the cooking pot is usually non-stick coated. So use soft cloth or sponge while cleaning the interior of the cooking pot.
- Completely dry the cooking pot before putting it back into the main body.
Step 4: Cleaning the Lid
- Use warm water or warm soapy water to clean the lid.
- Take care in cleaning the various values, knobs and pressure regulator on the lid. Clean and dry them thoroughly.
- Some electric pressure cooker lids have rubber gasket. To clean the rubber gasket, remove it from the lid and rinse it in warm soapy water. Dry it completely before attaching it back to the lid.
- Pay special attention to the rubber gasket’s shape. If it is distorted or hardened then replace it with a new one.
Step 5: Drying the parts
- Completely dry each and every part before attaching them back.
- You can use a soft cloth for drying the parts.
Not cleaning your electric pressure cooker properly or avoiding it all together can cause it to mal-function or cause formation of stale odors inside it. And in extreme cases it can even spoil the food being prepared.
Clean your electric pressure cooker regularly to ensure that your cooker will operate at optimal performance for a longer time.
How do you clean an electric pressure cooker? We would like to know. Let us and other reader know about your method of cleaning in the comments below.